Tuesday 4 October 2011

Un-mocha Biscuits @ Karl's Komputer Klinic

More visiting to day! Here at VegaNation we like to get out and meet the people..! We were visiting our very best friends Paula, Karl and Amy, who enjoy cooking as much as we do and so we always like to bake something when we are going over there...also Karl who is very Klever had offered to check out some of our ailing 'pooters and we felt he should be rewarded!

I made a batch of coffee biscuits which were a homage to a mocha bikkies recipe of Isa Chandra Moskowitz's. I didn't have any cocoa so mocha wasn't really a possibility...Yes, (Paula!) I know I should have checked whether I had any cocoa...(I must add here that Paula leads by example and really DOES check through a recipe to make sure she has all the ingredients...BEFORE SHE BEGINS COOKING!!!!...Yes I know!!! ...
But I forgot that mocha is chocolate and coffee favour and not just coffee and also the bikkies in the picture didn't look very dark, so while I had had to give up on lots of things I had wanted to make because I didn't have any cocoa, I hadn't thought that this recipe had cocoa in. Anyway, that's enough excuses!
I used Camp coffee and chicory essence which was a trip down memory lane as (for some reason??) this was the 'coffee' that was served in the canteen at my first job when I was fifteen...weird..anyway this flavoured the cookie dough with a gentle coffee flavour which was very nice and not too much as it can be very hard to get the intensity of flavour right if you try and use proper coffee as a flavouring.
Comfrey, a few weeks old, just before we took her to St T's
Fin, Pony and Mouse came and made the dough into round balls and put these on baking parchment and then we cooked them for 10 minutes while we made some coffee icing which we all put on the biscuits with a syringe we had in the cupboard leftover from a load we had bought last summer to feed a baby hedgehog that we'd looked after.

We found Comfrey in a Country Park on July 4th last year and we gave her that name because there was a comfrey plant growing near where we found her wandering. She was with us for some weeks before we took her to St Tiggywinkles the brilliant wildlife hospital from where she graduated to a premium garden somewhere in Buckinghamshire, last Autumn!

Anyway, back to the biscuits! The recipe had flax in it which is a sort of a Third Way - not either a hard 'biscuit' or a softer, crumblier, 'cookie', as flax gives a slightly chewy consistency. Everybody loved the biscuits (except Pony who ate Peanut Butter Cookies) and Karl mended every single Komputer (and our Kamera!) which is what we at VegaNation call a Result!!

No comments:

Post a Comment