Thursday 6 October 2011

Menu Wars Again...

It is that cheery time again at VegaNation Towers when we have to plan the meals for the week ahead....Fin likes this but Mouse likes that.... I want something that Sarah doesn't...and Pony doesn't want any of it....
To complicate things further Yom Kippur is approaching , and so a meal has to be chosen which will be worth the wait but can be cooked without tasting it while we're making it. Also, ideally the meal chosen wouldn't fill the house with too many lovely cooking smells while we're fasting..! Basically it has to be lovely but not too lovely...

So we are planning Broccoli Pasta Arrabiata for that one ...pasta'n'Marmite for Pony...sigh...
We are meeting friends at a country park this week - they are raw foodies so have to make sure we have lots of respectable oatcakes and raisins and things to give the children as snacks...!!
I was scrolling down a page on Veg Web in a desultory sort of way looking for inspiration and saw the very quirkily-named Sink De-Clogger and thought Right, we'll have that! (I thought it was probably some sort of chilli...) until on closer inspection it turned out to be a recipe for actual Sink De-Clogger.....disappointing....
It is a complicated week so need to pick meals that can be cooked and eaten quickly before we meet another family for a 'play-date' or cooked and eaten quickly after we get back in the evening after volunteering at Feline Care and above all has to be some thing that is not too shameful to write about for MoFo...!

Our enchiladas were such a success last week - only a 3/5, but it was simplicity itself to make quesadilla for the non-believers so we can have that again.
We are a bit pushed for time to do the shopping as we also need to do an order from the wholesaler for our dear little shop VegaNation, so I'm doing the grocery shopping online at Tesco which I hate as I'm able to be much thriftier if I go to the shop myself but I'm trying to do about three different things at once and the shopping is one of them.
I regularly buy Cheddar-style Cheezley from Tesco but whatever I look up I can't find a trace of it...grr...it isn't Redwood's best cheeze at all but (before today) it was the only one that we could fairly reliably get at Tesco and you can do pretty much anything with it...including make a cheeze sauce for your enchiladas... :(
ALSO I wanted to do cannelloni later in the week but ALL  I can find at either Tesco or Waitrose is De Cecco Cannelloni All'Uovo, which loosely translated means that one of the ingredients comes out of a hen's bottom....SO NO THANK YOU!
Actually I've gone cold on the idea of Broccoli Pasta Arrabiata for breaking the fast after Yom Kippur..I'm feeling a bit ..haunted..by lunch with General Tao..and need a trial separation from broccoli and garlic and chilli...which is tricky as every single recipe on Veg Web seems to contain all three...even the cake!
So anyway, enough of all this negativity - we're going to go and eat a little something I prepared earlier!
Flapjacks made from the first recipe book I was ever given when I was 6 or 7 and still the only recipe I know by heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment