Thursday 27 October 2011

Be Nice to Pigeons...

...because a statue will be made of you one day...that was the fortune that Pony got in her fortune cookie tonight!! We think there are lots of other reasons to be nice to pigeons but it made us laugh..
Today was Part II of Pony's birthday festivities...when I looked at the underneath of the lemon drizzle cake that I had (so sensibly) made the day before it was needed, it turned out that it looked even more overdone underneath and just to add insult to injury I snapped it in half while I was looking at it...
So it was all to do again today before we went out and had to be fitted in around breakfast, packing up the crushed beetle sweets to return to the wholesaler and a lengthy 'phone call to L*ttlewoods Customer Services about a computer I returned to them which they were refusing to replace or refund until the returned one had done its party trick of freezing and remaining inert for hours...WHY ON EARTH WOULD I HAVE SENT IT BACK AND ASKED FOR A REPLACEMENT IF THERE WERE NOTHING WRONG WITH IT???
So anyway I knocked up a batch of cupcakes using a recipe that used to be Nigella Lawson's but was veganized by our beloved Paula and so doesn't belong to Nigella anymore!!
Violet Tomola says Please adopt black animals!
But..something went horribly wrong..I'm still not sure what as the recipe has 125 g of flour and the same of margarine and the same of sugar so it was a strange one to mess up....but when I got them out they were kind of bubbling in a weird way and eventually 'set' very hard and slightly concave!! Fin, Pony and Mouse were very supportive and also I had let Mouse have some of the overcooked Lemon Drizzle Cake for breakfast (I know, I know!) so there was no going back..but they were so embarrassingly odd that in the end instead of filling up their hollowness with icing and so disguising their shapes (as the children suggested) Sarah stepped in and made some of Isa Chandra's which saved the day! Hooray!
So anyway we had a lovely day with our friends Paula, Karl and their daughter (now known as Kitty!) during which Klever Karl held one of his Komputer Klinics and found that one of our Komputers had a Krumb under the letter D! How did THAT happen?!
And then to round off the day we had a chinese takeaway for our supper which is also in the contract as part of birthday festivities around here! The very nice man at the takeaway always seems to feel a bit sorry for me that I'm vegan(!) and always says 'It must be very hard...!' so tonight he told me they could make chow mein with rice noodles for us and he gave us a (vegan!) fortune cookie each! We are already working on Pony's fortune but worrying a bit about mine..which read, 'A young man will give you problems this week'....I'll keep you posted!

PS Violet Tomola, one of the VegaNation cats is our avatar on Twitter for the day as 27th October is Black Cat Awareness Day and Violet wants you to know that black cats, on average, spend twice as long waiting for homes in a shelter than cats of other colours. Violet spent two years waiting in a shelter and she didn't like it...PLEASE ADOPT BLACK ANIMALS!

No comments:

Post a Comment